Friday, August 04, 2006

Some good books to read

From the Curt Jester's website, his response to the one book meme...

Chris Burgwald tagged me with the one book meme. Though I am going to have to cheat since the parameter of one book is just too narrow.

1. One book that changed your life:
"Letter to Paul" I don't remember the author who was a priest. I picked it up from the library during my exploration phase thinking it was about the letter of St. Paul. Turned out it was from I think a Norwegian priest writing to his nephew. His discussion of the road to Emmaus and how it relates to the Eucharist hit me like a ton of bricks. It just made everything click for me in seeing that the Eucharist as the Catholic Church teaches perfectly fit.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Frank Herbert's Dune Series. I think I have read them four times and I am sure I will do it again.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Well the Bible's a given so I would pick the Summa Theologica since if you can only have one book it might has well be a real big one.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Anything by Terry Pratchett.

5. One book that made you cry:
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
A converts guide to the Church explaining what most Catholics take for granted. There should be a guide to tell you the method to easily flex your toe move the kneeler up and down. There is a very specific art form to do this without making noise.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
How about one book per room that I am current reading?

Tim Powers Declare. Great read and it is kind of a John Le Carre meets the Twilight Zone. I have been reading a bunch of his books recently and I have enjoyed them all.

Roy H. Schoeman Salvation is from the Jews. Probably not on Mel Gibson's reading list, but it should be.

Dwight Longenecker St. Benedict and St. Therese: The Little Rule & the Little Way. Dwight Longenecker is a talented writer and this book makes some great comparisons between these two saints.

And finally I am also listening to Maisie Ward's Gilbert Keith Chesterton. It is in the public domain and I converted it to speech to listen to on my iPod.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Fr. Stanley L. Jaki's Science and Creation

Read the whole thing at Curt Jester

No comments: