Friday, August 31, 2007

What is Faith?

Father V, while talking about "art", makes several points about following the Catholic Faith and ALL its beliefs...

This is the problem many get into when finding something they disagree with, I find it interesting when someone vehemently disagrees with Church teaching and when asked why they disagree with a particular teaching the response is, “It’s not fair,” or “I don’t like it,” or “God wouldn’t say that.” When pressed for further details such as how do they know or if they know why it is that the Church teaches as she does, the conversation is blown away with the swipe of the arm as if going after an annoying fly thereby brushing off any chance that a meaningful exchange of ideas could even occur.

No teaching of the Church stands on its own. It is like a carefully constructed ball of yarn and to yank at one thread is most likely to effect many other teachings. Each teaching is not a referendum item that can be voted in or out without effecting the greater understanding of the whole.


Instead, perhaps they should try what Father V suggests,

1 My definition of art Faith is too narrow.

2 It is so far ahead of me that I just don’t get it. For example, it took me a long time to appreciate icon.

3 It speaks to something that I just happen to have no interest in but need to appreciate because to someone else it is extremely relevant.

4 The key to understanding it has not been revealed to me.

5 There is nothing to get, I am just reading too much into it.

6 It isn’t art.

These are good points (except for the last one, if it's in the Magisterium of the Church, it's Faith), in which case, see #4 and pray for understanding.

No comments: