Monday, December 25, 2006

Heresies in Homilies

In researching the Navarre Study Bible, I found this article in a back issue of This Rock. It startled me because this was so similar to the theme of the homily I heard at my church this morning (sigh). Don't worry, it was a visiting priest. Just goes to prove, there are no new heresies...just wish we didn't hear them in homilies.

Marcionism

How could the God who commanded adulterers to be stoned be reconciled with the God who let them go free? This was overcome by postulating the existence of two gods. Marcion concluded that the tyrannical Creator-God of the Old Testament, Yahweh, was in opposition to the merciful and loving God of the New Testament.


Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

DominiSumus said...

You are right, there are no new heresies.
Last year I had an 8th grader approach me with what he thought was a novel way of thinking about God. He was very disappointed when I told him it was a heresy which was over a thousand years old. I just wish I had been able to remember the name of it.

Anyway, I am glad to have found your blog. Keep up the good work.

Lynne said...

Thanks!

This makes me wish that homilies were recorded/published by their parish so we (or the pastor) could talk to the homilist about where the homily went off the rails.

I'm researching and will publish soon a concise list of common heresies.

Dust of the Time, an excellent blog, wrote on kenosis recently as it relates to Christ the Lord Out of Egypt, the book by Anne Rice.