Monday, February 21, 2011

Rome Sweet Home

I love conversion stories and have always enjoyed listening to Dr Scott Hahn, a famous convert, who brings complex theological issues down to a level that even *I* can understand so I thought the book by he and his wife, Kimberly, Rome Sweet Home, would be a happy story.

Well, it didn’t start out that way! I knew they had a happy ending because both they and their children made it into the Catholic Church many years ago but the book covered the whole process of their discovery of the fullness of Truth of the Catholic Church.  First Kimberly made the discovery that the Church was correct about contraception (this book was written in the early 1990s by the way). Then Scott questioned one tenet of Protestantism, sola fide, and for him, that started unraveling the whole ball of yarn. He fought his conversion every step of the way, at least in the beginning and Kimberly, while being a supportive wife, fought the idea and prayed and read books and prayed some more.

It was a real page-turner for me and made me respect the Hahns’ struggles to get to where they are today.


Also, in the book, they mention a talk that Scott gave to a group of Catholics. It became known as "The Tape" and can be found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Hahn does have a remarkable conversion story, and some really great books! I find that converts often know the Catholic Faith and cherish it even more than those of us who were raised in it. I love his show on EWTN, too. Have you seen it?

Lynne said...

Unfortunately, as much as I love EWTN, I've fallen out of the habit of watching it. I will definitely look for his show.

Thanks!