Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blessed Be God (or Lent's not that far away)

Lent is right around the corner (Oh no!  Oh wait, that's a good thing, if you're ready for it)

I'm sure you're seeing all sorts of suggestions/recommendations on other blogs but here's a recommendation for a great prayer book which would be wonderful to have even if Lent wasn't barreling down on us.

Blessed Be God by Fathers Callan and McHugh.

I got this book a week ago and I can't stop picking it up. It's small in dimension but it's a real prayer book with thin pages like missals of old so even with 700+ pages, it is still relatively light-weight.  It has daily prayers, prayers for the Day of the Week, Month of the Year, novenas, devotions, etc. They're all beautiful prayers. Most of them flow very well, there are a few which have words like 'livest and reignest' in them so those feels a little clunky when you're saying them. But the book is full of jewels of Catholic worship from long ago. It was originally published in 1959.

4 comments:

Lisa, ofs said...

Ooooh, this sounds mighty tasty! I'm such a total sucker for 1) prayer cards, and 2) prayer books. ::sheepish look:: So, it's not like I need another one, but man! Do want!

Lynne said...

You wouldn't be sorry! ;-) I believe I got mine from Aquinas and More...

Jennifer Samountry said...

My favorite prayer book is a pre-vatican II book of Novenas. It has gold leafing on the pages, tracing paper thin paper, and beautiful illustrations. They say "Holy Ghost" too which is weird but the way it used to be. I Love that book more than any other. I think I would also like this one. (I found you on St. Blog Parish).

Lynne said...

Thanks Jennifer for stopping by! Hope you have a joyous Easter! And the same wish for everyone who stopped by recently...